Category leader, strong growth, hot products: this Northern California food processor has a terrific opportunity an agribusiness leader to take their ag ops to a new level.
The Director of Agricultural Operations will be responsible for all aspects of agricultural growing operations, agricultural property expansion, farming policy, and serve as the external face of the company for its agricultural operations. This will include the management of all company-owned farms and operation of the farm management business. S/he has responsibility for the strategic oversight and operational performance of the company’s farm assets, managing agricultural staff, optimizing yields and leading the company’s property expansion efforts. The successful candidate will be very hands-on, working closely and collaboratively with the other members of the division’s leadership team in executing aggressive growth strategy.
- Develop and implement a strategic and tactical plan for agricultural operations to ensure on-going ability and capacity to grow. Includes both existing company owned orchards and orchard expansion efforts.
- Develop planning and budgeting for all areas of the company’s existing farm operations and potential expansion efforts, both domestically and internationally.
- Implement Good Agricultural Practices (GAP’s), identify state of the art processes and efficiently deploy resources for owned orchards and those of outside growers so that water and land are used to optimize long-term production and profitability.
- Design and execute planting schedules, cultivation, crop budgets, farm design, pest control, harvest scheduling, and farm record keeping.
- Plan, coordinate, and control the daily operation of the agriculture organization through its managers, working to optimize yield and productivity through advances in resource implementation, irrigation timing, hedging methodologies and innovative uses of technology.
- Manage the agriculture P&L, including all farm revenue and direct costs.
- Motivate and lead the agriculture team; improve employee productivity and efficiency through training, internal
growth, programs, etc., and add to the team as properties are acquired and developed
- Ensure that the growing operations are aligned with changing customer requirements, such as sustainability, organic production methods, and Regenerative Agricultural techniques.
- Contribute cross-functionally as a member of the company’s senior leadership team.
Ideal Candidate Profile
We seek a results-driven Director who has excellent strategic thinking skills, relevant farm management and crop production experience, a strong collaborative and team-oriented attitude and a business builder’s entrepreneurial perspective, thought process and execution capability. The winning candidate will have an at-the-farm gate, dynamic management style and strong interpersonal skills that are equally effective in an on-farm visit with a fellow grower, farm manager and in the boardroom. A pioneering view that supports the Company’s growth strategies is essential.
Experience and Skills Required
- Minimum of 10 years of agricultural farm management experience, preferably with tree crops.
- A solid grounding in, and deep knowledge of, agricultural production methods, input planning and application, chemical & irrigation practices and labor & equipment management.
- Initiative to develop new procedures to make field work and Ag processes more efficient, farming methods which enhance orchard yield, and the reporting systems to analyze and act upon results.
- A strategic thinker – and hands-on doer – with the knowledge, skills, experience and judgment to evaluate the existing and ongoing utilization/performance of the company’s orchards.
- Proven collaborative, negotiation, communication, and integrative skills that are effective at all levels of the organization from board room to field and repair shop.
- Demonstrated strong collaborative leadership and team-building expertise.
- Experience with and understanding of the use of sustainable agricultural practices and Precision Farming technology in a large growing operation to improve yield and drive down costs.
- Strong analytical aptitude with a business builder’s perspective and mindset, able to quickly prioritize opportunities and build consensus upon them.
- International experience desirable.
Personal Characteristics Required
- Building trust with all team members and stakeholders, encouraging the open expression of ideas and opinions with a high Emotional Quotient (EQ).
- Highest integrity.
- A true hands-on style and approach, with high physical and intellectual energy, and a robust entrepreneurial spirit with
a “never-give-up” tenacity.
- Takes-on uncertainty with confidence and gusto and is not afraid of change.
- Passion for what s/he does and a desire to learn about business and the industry.
Education Level Desired and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Agronomy, Crop Science, Crop Physiology, or another relevant field.
- An MBA in Agribusiness or Master’s in Ag Economics or related field is desirable.
- Pest Control Advisor (PCA) license a huge plus.
- Valid California Driver’s License with clean driving record.
Please contact Tara Schwartz, email@example.com
1430 total views, 1 today