The Farm Manager works with the Washington team as well as other location Farm Managers and corporate teams to effectively manage approximately 500 acres of ground for potato production annually. This position directly manages the Crop Production Manager and seasonal farm labor.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
The primary responsibility of this position is to efficiently manage the farm operations to ensure excellent customer and vendor satisfaction so the site is able to meet financial goals and objectives by:
Work collaboratively with company leadership to establish successful business model for Seed Potato Production opportunities within the region.
- Look for opportunities to network and expand the awareness of the company
- Provide analysis and information to team to help in decision making process
- Where appropriate, represent the company in the marketplace and seek to expand our business.
Provide oversight and leadership to all potato production activities
- Lead all field operations, including tillage, planting, cultivation, harvest, and cover crop establishment
- Coordinate agronomic activities, including irrigation, fertilizer applications, and chemical applications
- Oversee potato storage management and potato shipping activities
- Support innovation in agronomic, equipment, and storage practices
- Grow and manage rotational crops were deemed necessary for the success of the business.
Provide general management leadership to the farming operation
- Help build team of full-time employees and manage/motivate all personnel
- Maintain P&L responsibility with significant focus on cost management
- Participate in budgeting and business planning process
- Manage purchasing of supplies, equipment, and inputs.
Grow and maintain positive landlord, customer, and community relations
- Develop relationships with potential landlord base and secure annual land leases
- Manage shipping activities to deliver excellent customer service and quality
- Serve as a positive representative to the community, land partners, and other local suppliers.
Experience and Skills:
Required Position Qualifications
- Demonstrated strong work-ethic, outstanding leadership ability and exceptional interpersonal skills
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Self-directed individual who leads projects to identify and implement solutions with team input
- Demonstrated strategic management of irrigated crops
- Demonstrated financial management experience and budgeting skills
- Adaptability to changing situations and have the ability to perform multiple tasks with multiple priorities
- Proficient in the use of Windows based computer programs (Excel, Access, PowerPoint) and a general aptitude with software systems
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including ability to train and work with operational personnel on the farm
- Superior organizational and project management skills and experience leading and managing people
- Ability to acquire and hold a valid US driver’s license and successfully pass vehicle insurance verification
- Candidates must be eligible to work unrestricted in the U.S. without company sponsorship
- Ability to comprehend, read, write and communicate proficiently in English and interact with all levels of the organization.
Preferred Position Qualifications
- Bachelors of Science degree in an Ag related field
- Bilingual in English/Spanish
- 5+ years’ experience managing agricultural programs over a large geographic region as well as ability to travel up to 30% of work time
- Previous experience working with potatoes and irrigated crops.
Please contact Mark Teague, Mark@producecareers.com
560 total views, 4 today