Leading California food processor is seeking a Lab Manager. This important position is responsible for supporting and contributing to the overall laboratory management under the Technical Services Director.
Responsibilities include managing a clean laboratory; equipment installations; maintaining standard operating procedures for laboratory equipment; product evaluations and studies; sensory program set up; filling out appropriate paperwork efficiently and correctly; any other projects as assigned.
- Supervise laboratory staff, 1 permanent, up to 10 during season.
- Manage Fruit sampling program for harvest sampling
- Manage submission of various facility, food, oil, soil, orchard sampling to internal lab and 3rd party labs.
- Manage 3rd party laboratories used by company for compliance.
- Develop and maintain laboratory best practices in accordance with SQF and ISO 17025
- Manage and maintain policies relating to all laboratory equipment, chemical waste, testing protocols, preventative maintenance, and cleaning.
- Responsible for maintaining a clean and organized laboratory and maintaining inventory of laboratory items.
- Facilitate lab technician in conduct analysis and testing on lab equipment and testing protocols. Items include but are not limited to: Total Fat testing (Soxtherm/Hydrotherm), Moisture Analysis (oven), Free Fatty Acid, Water Content, and Peroxide Value Titrations.
- Managing chemical control for laboratory and chemical waste.
- Manage calibrations on all equipment as outlined in procedures conducted by the laboratory technician.
- Manage custom sample requests from Sales and fill when orders are entered.
- Maintain retains for custom samples, co-packer samples, misc. samples.
- Assist Technical Services Manager with various studies and data collection/data entry.
- Sensory tasting set ups and cleanup for any and all sensory evaluations by customers. Data entry for all results.
- Manage tank evaluations, quarterly testing of all tanks.
- Submit all analysis to 3rd party labs for testing as needed and update/review all results for accuracy.
- Conduct Co-Packer product testing in house and report findings to Technical Services Director.
- Maintain a professional working relationship with vendors and various equipment contacts for the laboratory. Aid in maintaining and implementing the SQF level 2 procedures and document control with the SQF Practitioner.
- Manage and ensure site security.
- Communicate a positive image of the company to the entire staff and customers.
- Apply all safety rules and regulations and prevent work hazards.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Comply with , State and Federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), HACCP, and SQF regulations.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- 2-3 years as lab supervisor or manager
- BS or MS in Food Science or Chemistry field.
- Have knowledge of lab equipment and testing including but not limited to: NIR, HPLC, GC, Soxhlet, colorimeter, titrations, sensory.
- Experience or knowledge of ISO 17025 or similar laboratory best practice.
- Ability to read and understand company policies and procedures and implement appropriately.
- Assist in problem solving and in making this a more effective organization.
- Demonstrate strong verbal and written communication skills including read and write the English language.
- Manage details of multiple projects in an efficient and organized method.
- Produce work in a timely, budgeted, scheduled and profitable manner for the Company.
- Apply safety procedures and principles on a daily basis and protect yourself and others from injury
- Knowledge of food safety principles and food processing
- Must have proficient computer skills
- Valid California Driver’s License
Must possess mobility to work in a food manufacturing facility vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person, before groups and over the telephone. This is a primary food manufacturing facility classification, commonly standing in work areas. Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard, typewriter keyboard, or calculator Positions in this classification occasionally bend, stoop, kneel, reach, push, and pull drawers open and closed to retrieve and file information. This position requires standing, sitting, walking, push, pull and reaching. Employees must possess the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects, up to 40 pounds, as necessary to perform job functions. Ability to regularly lift loads up to 40lbs, occasionally maneuver loads up to 50 lbs, rarely maneuver loads up to 60 lbs.
Regularly working in a temperature controlled room (62°F to 78°F). During harvest season environment may experience very hot or cold temperatures and humidity.
Please contact Tara Schwartz, email@example.com
1139 total views, 1 today