D.J. Stornetta Office 805-481-3200 Fax 805-481-3545 Produce Careers Inc. 122 Le Point Street Suite 202 Arroyo Grande, CA 93420
Scroll down to see our active searches. Or refine the list using the keyword search bar. If you’d like to speak with our Executive Recruiters, contact us directly at 805-481-3200 x10.
A well-established produce manufacturer is searching for a Plant Breeder with Sweet Pepper knowledge to join their team. The qualified candidate will be responsible for developing, implementing, and coordinating research and development activities of assigned species. Direction of assigned program is determined and implemented by the plant breeder. Basic purpose is to develop or encourage the development of state-of-the-art proprietary products for our client. Position is based in Florida.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develop, maintain, and improve hybrid varieties for domestic and international markets.
• Coordinate and place trials in major market areas and travel to these areas for evaluation of entries.
• Advance hybrids via Nomination System. Write descriptions of varieties in Nomination Form. Fulfill requirements for variety advancement through documentation of performance, documentation of resistance, and completion of required breeder’s seed.
• Provide summarized results of trials to supervisor.
• On assigned species, assist in preparing market analysis and product profiles for product introduction and customer support. Work with Sales Department and/or Product Manager in designing and evaluating trials of advancing experimental varieties.
• Planning crossing blocks and field trials, managing field selection and evaluation of assigned species.
• Design breeding strategies and maintain breeding lines, including the collection and incorporation of new germplasm. Screen and select horticulturally acceptable and disease resistant material from breeding nurseries, laboratory and field screens.
• Provide Production department with required amount of Breeder’s seed of parent lines of advancing hybrids along with Inbred (parent) Line Descriptions. Coordinate plant selection for production of quality stock seed. Work with plant pathology to identify and implement reliable assays and ensure production of adequate quantities of disease free basic seed.
• Attend selected professional conferences and seminars, and maintain networks with the scientific community to stay at the technological forefront in assigned species.
• Assist other breeding programs when necessary and/or assigned.
Skills and Qualifications:
• PhD or MS degree in plant breeding/genetics or related scientific discipline desired. BS degree with minimum 4 years vegetable plant breeding experience may be considered.
• Experience in plant breeding and working knowledge of plant pathology related techniques highly desired but not required.
• Must be willing to travel extensively
• Must be able to work with chemicals and possible irritating substances.
• Must be able to wear personal protective equipment when necessary and/or required (backbrace,
Salary: DOE, Medical Benefits, relocation assistance.
For more information, contact Jennifer Mazza firstname.lastname@example.org
363 total views, 2 today