The Plant Compliance Specialist is responsible for ensuring the plant is in compliance with specifications and food safety requirements. Position performs daily review and verification of records; maintains internal programs pertinent to documentation; investigates customer complaints; conducts plant inspections; and ensures employees are up-to-date on their quality trainings. In addition, position serves as a back-up to the QA Supervisor and assumes the day-to-day operations of the QA lab.
This position reports to the QA/Technical Services Manager and supervises a Document Controller. Position may also supervise quality staff in the plants. This position works closely with plant staff, Corporate Quality, Sales and Marketing, and copack customers.
(The essential functions listed below are not intended to reflect all duties that may be assigned to this position. The Company may augment duties, including essential functions, at its discretion.)
- Perform daily review and verification of records to ensure compliance to specifications and food safety requirements. Communicate and address corrective actions. Ensure information is entered into tracking log.
- Serve as a back-up to the QA Supervisor when supervisor is out. Oversee the day to day operations of the QA lab and ensure compliance with all food safety and food quality programs. Provide leadership and supervision of the lab employees. Assist with audits, documentation, and maintaining effective and compliant food safety plans and/or HACCP program. Provide a high level of technical expertise/support within the facility and externally.
- Maintain internal Quality, SQF, organic, kosher and food safety programs including pertinent documentation. Update policies, programs, and procedures to ensure the company meets requirements and remain in compliance. Communicate and collaborate with other departments to ensure updates are reviewed and recommended changes are accurate. Ensure plant staff are meeting requirements outlined in the policies, programs, and procedures.
- Investigate customer complaints and determine root cause. Review records, pull samples if needed, gather all facts, and provide a recommended corrective action to QA/Technical Services Manager before deadline.
- Provide leadership and supervision of a Document Controller. Manage goals and objectives for staff. Provide formal and informal feedback through coaching, monitoring and evaluating job results.
- Conduct daily and monthly plant inspection. Provide recommended corrective action to QA/Technical Services Manager. Lead corrective action efforts by collaborating with plant staff.
- Work with other departments and QA/Technical Services Manager to develop an effective sanitation program through monitoring and proactively addressing issues.
- Train employees and ensure food safety and quality parameters are met. Collaborate with other departments and employees to create applicable trainings and deliver trainings to employees.
- Have regular attendance and work appropriate number of hours to get the essential functions completed.
- Perform under the Working Conditions described below.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR ENTRY:
- Principles and practices of food processing, manufacturing, and packaging.
- Principles and practices of food sensory.
- Solid knowledge of food safety and food quality standards (regulatory and customer).
- Principles and practices of intermediate math and statistics.
- Principles and practices of laboratory methods and equipment.
- Working knowledge of quality auditing.
- Pertinent Federal, State, and local laws, codes and regulations applicable to the quality and safety of foods.
- Conduct risk assessment analysis and cause/correction action reviews to resolve quality issues.
- Drive continuous improvement and make recommendations to the process.
- Accurately perform duties of the job, with attention to detail.
- Accurately document standard operating procedures.
- Read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, regulatory and procedure manuals.
- Maintain confidential and sensitive information.
- Gain cooperation through discussion and persuasion
- Identify, research, and analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, and project consequences of proposed actions.
- Gather, evaluate, and interpret information.
- Effectively organize, plan, and execute.
- Use computers and computer software including word processing, spreadsheets, and databases.
- Meet behaviors established in the company’s performance management and development process.
EXPERIENCE, CERTIFICATION/LICENSES, AND TRAINING:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Food Science, Chemistry, Microbiology, or related field.
- Minimum of three years of experience working in quality assurance, preferably in a food manufacturing and food safety environment.
- SQF Practitioner is highly preferred.
- Prior trainings in Preventive Controls for Human Food, HACCP, Acidified Foods, and Internal Auditing are preferred.
- Constantly works in an office environment, frequently has exposures to a lab or manufacturing/plant environment, and occasionally has exposures to an outdoors environment
- Frequently works mandatory overtime
- Frequently works under tight time constraints or with business activities of a seasonal/cyclical nature
- Occasionally travels, including overnight stays, to other worksites, for off-site meetings, and for training purposes
- Constantly deals with highly confidential information
- Occasionally works with dissatisfied or angry customers
- Occasionally works from home
- Physical requirements of the job:
- Vision requirements: Constantly uses near vision and color vision and frequently uses far vision and depth perception
- Constantly types and sits
- Types of exposures encountered: Occasionally has exposures to human blood and pathogens, toxic or caustic chemicals, odors or fumes, extreme heat/cold temperatures, and loud machine/equipment noise
Persons with disabilities may be able to perform the essential duties of this job with reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodation will be evaluated on an individual basis and depends, in part, on the specific requirements for the job, the limitations related to disability and the ability of the department/division to accommodate the limitation
Please contact Mark Teague, Mark@producecareers.com
604 total views, 2 today