The individual in this role is responsible for managing all aspects of the strategic sales, marketing and procurement programs including growing the customer base, increasing volume and profitability, controlling expenses and directing the sales and procurement staff for the Leaf/Vegetable Department. The desired individual will have demonstrated leadership skills, be self-motivated, possess great communication skills and will share a passion for being a significant contributor to the long-term success
The position reports directly to the General Manager. The Department Manager is responsible for a team of 1-2 (TBD) sales and procurement staff. Additionally, this position will work very closely and in concert with team members in the affiliated departments and businesses to develop and ensure synergies.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Accountable for the planning, direction and coordination of sales and procurement functions for the Department.
- In collaboration with executive management recruit, hire, train, motivate and retain a professional sales and procurement staff. Review individual performance targets to maintain a results-oriented focus on growth, margins and profitability. Provide leadership and guide staff members in their professional development; develop team members and attract new talent to the organization.
- Create and implement sales and buying plans consistent with strategic goals; establish and execute short- and long-term departmental goals that contribute to new business growth.
- Position the department for profitable growth; address customer and distribution channels, improve existing client base and analyze target customers, pricing, margins and product lines. Analyze market data and trends to formulate action plans.
- Place the customer at the heart of the business; assure customer satisfaction through problem identification, problem solving and a proactive approach to making customer service a major focus.
- Personally develop and maintain relationships with key customers and suppliers.
- Increase revenue with existing accounts. Review existing customer base. Conduct regularly scheduled business reviews.
- Develop new customers and markets. Aggressively pursue new business development.
- Manage supplier base through timely visits to ensure complete understanding and execution of quality requirements, specifications and delivery commitments.
- Establish and maintain good working rapport and communication internally and externally with an emphasis on transparency. Interface and coordinate with all business functions and affiliates.
- Coordinate with logistics to achieve the targeted customer service goals in the most efficient manner to drive best-in-class practices.
- Apply rigorous category management techniques; provide continuous options for customers to deploy best practices in store level execution, product offerings and value chain adjustments.
- Possess a mindset to improve profit margins and overall revenue performance.
- Foster and retain professional relationships with industry-wide trade organizations, ancillary businesses and key customer accounts.
- Represent the company at industry events, conferences and trade shows.
EDUCATION & SPECIFIC QUALIFICATIONS
- An undergraduate BA / BS degree is desirable.
- A minimum of five years in perishable sales required.
- Broad produce commodity knowledge; understanding of the “buy side.”
- Retail sales experience and strong retail relationships at a senior level required.
- Demonstrated track record of sales leadership including managing growth, maintaining high-level customer relationships and managing a sales team.
- Understanding of sourcing and production processes; total focus on quality.
- Ability to work with budgets and to forecast sales volume and revenue growth.
- Knowledge of “best in class” sales training; process, sales effectiveness tools, software, etc.
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills required.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish is a plus.
- High ethical standards; promotes a positive personal and company image through honesty and integrity.
- Energy, enthusiasm and a positive attitude. High expectations. Drive performance to get results.
- Strong work ethic; willing to “roll up your sleeves”; able to work in a fast paced, demanding environment.
- Detail oriented but able to move quickly in concluding business tasks and guiding team to do the same.
- Strategically minded; mature and credible with a broad business understanding and equally effective setting a vision and completing day-to-day business tasks.
- Highly entrepreneurial, resourceful and solutions driven; commercially savvy, able to work through problems quickly and efficiently.
- A genuine passion for the perishables business; ambition and desire to exploit the full potential of the company and its affiliated companies.
- Able to handle multiple, conflicting priorities and deal with difficult issues effectively and diplomatically.
- Team oriented; works collaboratively with others; open and easy to approach; not defensive.
- Excellent interpersonal skills – able to establish, build and maintain business relationships at all levels from buyers to executives.
- Able to travel on a regular basis.
The company is an Equal Opportunity employer and conducts all business in compliance with the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as amended and the nondiscrimination regulations of the Secretary of Agriculture as now or hereinafter amended (7 CFR Part 15). Furthermore the company complies with the American with Disabilities Act of 1990, The Age Discrimination Act of 1975 and the Federal Equal Opportunity Act.
Please contact Tara Schwartz, email@example.com
612 total views, 2 today