Job #31370 – Washington
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
The QA Supervisor is responsible for overseeing the day to day operations of the QA lab and ensuring compliance with all food safety and food quality programs. Position assists QA/Technical Services Manager in maintaining effective and compliant food safety plans and/or HACCP program; generates, maintains, and audits daily quality and food safety documentations; and provides technical support to the plant and corporate quality. In addition, position assists in customer audits, internal audits, investigation of customer complaints and determining root cause and corrective action, trending, document control, and food safety training.
This position reports to the QA/Technical Services Manager and supervises lab technicians, microbiology technicians, and may supervise sanitation personnel. This position may work closely with plant staff, technical center and sales, procurement/purchasing, planning, corporate quality, logistics/inventory, external vendors/suppliers, customers, auditors, and regulatory agencies.
(The essential functions listed below are not intended to reflect all duties that may be assigned to this position. It is the responsibility of every employee to report food safety and food quality problems or risks to personnel with the authority to initiate action against these said possible risks. The Organization chart indicated key personnel with the authority to take action. The Company may augment duties, including essential functions, at its discretion.)
- Oversee and ensure compliance with all regulatory and company-defined food safety and sanitation standards, systems, procedures and practices. Assists QA/Technical Services Manager in maintaining an effective and compliant food safety and/or HACCP program. Develop programs and procedures with appropriate departments to ensure compliance. Conduct inspections to look for areas of improvement and enforce proper cGMP compliance. Ensure daily compliance to the SQF codes and customer requirements.
- Review daily and shift quality paperwork as completed by operators and technicians. Audits the procedures of lab personnel and other plant staff to ensure quality standards are being met. Train employees and ensure food safety and quality parameters are met.
- Analyze data to determine trends. Manage issues with non-conforming product to ensure proper control, minimizing losses and providing analysis to eliminate future occurrences. Develop a high sense of urgency and proactive approach on issues that could result in a positive financial impact.
- Provide leadership and supervision of lab technicians, microbiology technician, and/or sanitation staff. Manage goals and objectives for staff. Provide formal and informal feedback through coaching, monitoring and evaluating job results. Hold employees accountable for their actions.
- Provide a high level of technical expertise/support within the facility and externally. Technical expertise includes: applied statistics, quality management systems and measurement, consumer or customer complaint analysis and reduction, sanitation, and regulatory requirement processes.
- Assist with plant regulatory, customer, and third party audits by giving tours, explaining plant programs and reviewing documents with auditors.
- Develop and maintain professional working relationships with all internal and external people. Meet with management team to get direction and pass along information for further food quality and food safety development. Compiles and researches data for various projects, studies, and/or product development.
- Maintain laboratory supply inventory, equipment calibration, and SDS. Supply inventory performance and cost, and purchase of new materials is coordinated with purchasing.
Note: lab supplies are ordered direct through supplier vs. purchasing. Plants work through vendors to get best price through price quote for supplies
- Have regular attendance and work appropriate number of hours to get the essential functions completed.
- Perform under the Working Conditions described below.
(Incumbents may not perform all the following functions listed below):
- Prepare formulas and runsheets/batch sheets for each run of each item for the plant. Develop and ensure accuracy of formula blends and processing parameters. Periodically compare formulas and runsheets/batch sheets to specifications for accuracy.
- Generate transfer documentation for positive release of finished goods. Complete transfer documentation and send to third party warehouse to release product to saleable inventory. Update product status in system to reflect currently status and location.
- Develop the internal microbiology program. Assure proper methods and techniques are being followed. Manage special projects through the Microbiology Technician.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR ENTRY:
- Principles and practices of food processing, manufacturing, and packaging.
- Principles and practices of food sensory.
- Solid knowledge of food safety and food quality standards (regulatory and customer).
- Principles and practices of intermediate math and statistics.
- Principles and practices of laboratory methods and equipment.
- Working knowledge of quality auditing.
- Pertinent Federal, State, and local laws, codes and regulations applicable to the quality and safety of foods.
- Develop sensory techniques with Lab Technicians and Production Supervisors.
- Conduct risk assessment analysis and cause/correction action reviews to resolve quality issues.
- Drive continuous improvement and make recommendations to the process.
- Accurately perform duties of the job, with attention to detail.
- Accurately document standard operating procedures.
- Read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, regulatory and procedure manuals.
- Maintain confidential and sensitive information.
- Gain cooperation through discussion and persuasion.
- Identify, research, and analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, and project consequences of proposed actions.
- Gather, evaluate, and interpret information.
- Effectively organize, plan, and execute.
- Use computers and computer software including word processing, spreadsheets, and databases.
- Meet behaviors established in The Company’s performance management and development process.
EXPERIENCE, CERTIFICATION/LICENSES, AND TRAINING:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Microbiology, Food Science, Chemistry, or closely related field is highly preferred.
- Minimum of 1-3 years of quality systems management experience in a food manufacturing environment.
- HACCP and SQF practitioner’s certification are highly preferred.
- PCQI certified
- Experience in Lean Manufacturing/Continuous Improvement is a plus.
- May constantly work in a manufacturing/plant, office or lab environment and occasionally has exposures to an outdoors environment
- May frequently deal with highly confidential information
- Frequently works under tight time constraints or with business activities of a seasonal/cyclical nature
- Occasionally travels, including overnight stays, to other worksites, for off-site meetings, and for training purposes
- Occasionally works with dissatisfied or angry customers
- Occasionally works from home
- Physical requirements of the job:
- Frequently lifts up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift up to 50 pounds
- Vision requirements: Constantly uses near vision, far vision, and/or color vision and frequently uses depth perception
- Constantly talks, types listens/uses hearing, and/or sits
- Frequently climbs, lifts, stands, walks, and/or uses repetitive hand motions
- Occasionally crouches, kneels, reaches, stoops, and/or drives
- Types of exposures encountered: May constantly have exposures to loud machine/equipment noise, frequently has exposures to extreme heat/cold temperatures and occasionally has exposures to human blood and pathogens, toxic or caustic chemicals, odors or fumes, and/or electrical current
Persons with disabilities may be able to perform the essential duties of this job with reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodation will be evaluated on an individual basis and depends, in part, on the specific requirements for the job, the limitations related to disability and the ability of the department/division to accommodate the limitation.
Please contact Mark Teague, Mark@producecareers.com
377 total views, 5 today