We are working with a well-established seed manufacturer that is searching for a Senior Plant Breeder to join their team in CA.
The Senior Plant Breeder is responsible for developing, implementing, and coordinating research and development activities of assigned species. Direction of assigned program is determined and implemented by the Senior Plant Breeder with direction from our client with respect to both Open-Pollinated and Hybrid Lettuce. Basic purpose is to develop or encourage the development of state-of-the-art proprietary products for our client.
- Develop, maintain, and improve Open-Pollinated varieties as well as hybrid varieties for domestic and international markets.
- Coordinate and place trials in major market areas and travel to these areas for evaluation of entries.
- Advance varieties via Nomination portal. Write descriptions of varieties in Nomination Form. Fulfill requirements for variety advancement through documentation of performance, documentation of resistance, and completion of required breeder’s seed.
- Provide summarized results of trials to management.
- On assigned species, assist in preparing market analysis and product profiles for product introduction and customer support. Work with Sales Department and/or Product Manager in designing and evaluating trials of advancing experimental varieties.
- Planning crossing blocks and field trials, managing field selection and evaluation of assigned species.
- Design breeding strategies and maintain breeding lines, including the collection and incorporation of new germplasm. Screen and select horticulturally acceptable and disease resistant material from breeding nurseries, laboratory and field screens.
- Provide Production department with required amount of Breeder’s seed of parent lines of advancing varieties along with Inbred (parent) Line Descriptions. Coordinate plant selection for production of quality stock seed. Work with plant pathology to identify and implement reliable assays and ensure production of adequate quantities of disease-free basic seed.
PhD in plant breeding/genetics preferred. MS degree in plant breeding/genetics or an MS in another scientific discipline required. BS degree will be considered if accompanied by at least five (5) years of work experience in plant breeding combined with some working knowledge of plant pathology related techniques.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in plant breeding required.
- Experience working with lettuce farming and or breeding desirable.
- Must be willing to travel extensively
- Must be able to work with chemicals and possible irritating substances.
- Must be able to wear personal protective equipment when necessary and/or required (back brace, sunscreen, hat).
- Must be able to work under different weather conditions such as extremes of temperature (heat and cold) dampness, rain and sun exposure.
- Must be able to work in dusty conditions.
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time.
- Must be able to work long and irregular hours.
Salary: DOE, Medical Benefits, 401K, company vehicle, relocation assistance
Please contact Jennifer Mazza, Jennifer@producecareers.com
299 total views, 3 today