The research and development (R&D) manager directs the research efforts in their territory (from Watsonville, CA south to Oxnard, CA) to determine the viability of new and cutting edge products, concepts and technologies and expands use of existing branded products through their work in the crop spectrum throughout the coastal region of California. This position is also responsible for managing members of the R&D team. This position is integral to the growth of the growing community and crop protection industry in our coastal area.
The employee’s primary duty must be the performance of office and/or work in the field directly related to the management or general business operations of the company and its customers. This also includes the exercise of discretion and independent judgement with respect to matters of significance.
What your day may look like
- Reviews all protocols for product testing. This includes (i.e. greenhouse, field screens, plots, commercial use, cooperative testing, etc.) within assigned area.
- Reviews R&D proposals including objectives, purpose of project and applications that can be utilized from results to equipment and people requirements.
- Manages all assigned research projects and communicates potential issues and opportunities to appropriate R&D team members.
- Serves as the expert to the sales and marketing department in the field.
- Identifies and tracks new potential targets for product testing and communicates them to leadership.
- Identifies upcoming product technologies, trends or issues within their respective discipline.
- Establishes relationships with clients and growers and exhibits fundamental knowledge of where to place trials.
- Actively identifies new clients and research technologies.
- Monitors budget allocation, P&L statements and maintains good communication with the team.
- Coordinates and monitors the collection, packaging, shipping and disposal of all products used in R&D.
- Reviews and compiles collected data and reports overall findings for use in sales and marketing.
- Continually improves skills in statistical evaluation of data (software and techniques), scientific validity of data and other areas pertaining to R&D responsibilities.
- Communicates results of testing and development to appropriate departments, vendors, academia, customers and others as needed. This includes making presentations at sales, training, supplier and professional meetings.
- Actively involved in vendor, customer and professional meetings.
- Presents new technologies at professional meetings.
- Makes development recommendations based on trial results (i.e. new objectives, unmet objectives that need to be retested, deficiencies in the data).
- Serves as the resource expert to sales, marketing and when they seek advice about development decisions.
- Represents the company in the professional community as an expert in the R&D field.
- Actively involved in respective professional societies.
- Responsible for suggested changes/additions/deletions/improvements in formulations of products to make them more crop/user friendly. Communicates this information to the appropriate departments and leadership.
- Provides research results to appropriate teams for editing of use labels, technical data sheets, technical bulletins and other information related to products tested.
- Writes, reviews, analyzes and submits proposals to determine the benefits derived and possible expenditures.
- Develops and implements methods and procedures for monitoring products and projects. This includes providing information to support budgets, expenditures, data, progress reports, staff meetings, etc. to keep the team informed of the current status of each project.
- Manages the R&D team in their territory to ensure appropriate technical team is assigned to projects and the team is staffed with the appropriate levels of expertise.
- Ensures all company policies are followed.
- Other work-related duties as assigned by leader.
- Reliable and regular attendance is expected.
Education and experience needed for this position
- Master’s or PhD degree in agronomy, weed science, entomology, pathology or related discipline is preferred.
- Master’s degree and three years of experience will be considered.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Minimum education of a bachelors’ degree is required.
- Two years of leadership experience is required.
- Five years of cropping systems, products, timing ratings, and standards experience is preferred.
- Intermediate understanding of statistics and data analysis is required.
- Must have QAL (qualified applicators license) or will need to immediately obtain.
Other skills that will help you succeed
- Consistently produces high quality data evaluation and presentations.
- Certified Crop Adviser (CCA) license and Pest Control Adviser (PCA).
- Written and verbal communication skills to small and large groups with ability to lead and influence.
- Detail and accuracy orientated with an ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office particularly Excel.
- Excellent knowledge with ARM.
- Organizational skills.
- Ability to travel.
- Decision making skills.
- Ability to coordinate a high level of activities under a variety of conditions and constraints.
- Expert in data analysis skills.
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment with all members of the sales and marketing and the team.
In this leadership role, you will be responsible for the R&D associate, R&D technician and R&D intern staff. This includes carrying out leadership responsibilities such as interviewing, hiring, training and coaching employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees and addressing complaints and resolving problems by following all of the company’s policies, procedures and applicable laws.
The work environment for this position may require the employee to work in an outdoor setting in all types of weather conditions with exposure to outdoor elements. When working outdoors and possibly around moving equipment/mechanical parts, the employee may be exposed to fumes, airborne particles, chemical and biological hazards, vibrations and a risk of electrical shock. This position requires you to use your hands for many different tasks and to talk, hear, walk, stand and sit. You may be occasionally required to lift or move up to 50 pounds.
We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment where all our employees feel safe, valued and have the opportunity to succeed. We embrace different backgrounds and human experiences because our customers are also diverse. When we all show deep appreciation for each other and our customers it builds trust that strengthens the company and keeps us competitive.
Please contact Tara Schwartz, firstname.lastname@example.org
1075 total views, 4 today